When is spinal fusion appropriate?
Spinal fusion may be recommended to address a variety of spinal conditions, including:
- Degenerative disc disease: When discs in the spine deteriorate, causing pain and instability.
- Scoliosis: To correct abnormal sideways curvature of the spine.
- Spinal stenosis: When the spinal canal narrows, compressing nerves and causing pain.
- Herniated discs: When a disc's inner material protrudes and presses on nearby nerves.
- Spinal fractures: To stabilize the spine after a traumatic injury.